Bernard and Josephine Miles took up residence in a tumble down school to build a tiny Jacobean playhouse.
The first four week season of opera and drama was performed in the newly named Mermaid Theatre.
This brief season in 1951 was followed by a thirteen week season in the Coronation Year which was held in the central quadrangle of the Royal Exchange. Subsequently, the Corporation of London offered the Mermaid Trustees the lease of a blitzed warehouse at Puddle Dock.
The conversion was funded by public subscription; the total cost of the theatre fully equipped was £126,000, to which the Corporation of London contributed 38 per cent.
The Mermaid opened its doors on the 29th May 1959 with a production of “Lock up your Daughters”. The theatre staged more than 152 productions over the years.
Closed for refurbishment and extension.
The Mermaid reopened with a production of Ben Jonson’s “Eastward Ho!”
Major refurbishment and upgrade of The Mermaid to make it the best events and conference centre in the City of London.